About Me

My photo
A 40-ish publisher (editor, project manager, etc.), husband, and father of an even number of offspring, I grew up, or failed to, reading fantasy and sci-fi. I still enjoy reading, and now am trying to write. My favorite books include YA fantasy, manga, biography, and advice to authors. I'm also a former history major/grad student/high school teacher and assessment writer. Now I work for a school supplement publisher, specializing in high-low chapter books. I spend a lot of my time controlling reading levels. At night, I cut loose and use long words. W00t!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

coolest thing I read today: "A New Era for Scientists and Engineers"

Found on Facebook...

I read Steve Blank's announcement/contextualization of the National Science Foundation's Innovation Corps, a plan to make business development native to science and engineering entrepreneurs, not to imbue traditional business thinking in them, but to recast the challenges of business as a kind of experiment.

Blank says it better than I do, and links lots of things together, so you can follow the threads of his thoughts at will until everything starts to come together.

The first piece I read from him was about the history of business in Silicon Valley, "How Scientists and Engineers got it right, and VC's got it wrong." I found it informative and enjoyable, despite the misuse of an apostrophe. I won't let my small ideas intrude on his big ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment